Not for the land locked

Tuesday, August 9

A Day Sailing

I can proudly cross "visit the beach" and "ride a boat" off of my list of things to do this summer. Yes, despite the rescheduling here and there, we finally got out to Newport and got a thrilling ride on Lacey's mom's friend John's boat. John is a professor at OSU (he was my dad's favorite professor in the 80's, as a matter of fact) and seems to be kind of a Jack of all trades, and quite the character.

I woke up yesterday morning at 7, after getting to bed at 1:30. I sleepily got ready, packed my things, made myself some coffee, and made a mix CD for the occasion. As I rushed out the door, it occurred to
me that my CD player was lost and/or broken. I got into the car, without the CD player, and with a case of Cd's, as I started to give my grandma directions to Lacey's house. When I got there, I waited about 5 minutes for someone to open the door, and when someone did, it was a still tired looking Lacey in her pajamas. I waited patiently in the living room, while the family got ready. I worked on my anagrams ( I recently began making anagram names for everyone in my grade, like this: Cielle Charron = Ellen Arcorich) I had got quite a good list going, and on just that one paper I had about 30 of so names.

When were were all ready to head
out, the five of us climbed into the cramped little car. The drive up was very beautiful, as usual. The only bad thing was having to share Lacey's CD player, back and forth, each listening to the song the other had just listened to (thank you Lacey). We did not even get through one CD. Everything is going to be so much simpler with an iPod. When we got into town, we drove straight to the dock where John's boat was....docked, and got everything ready for our adventure.

After everything was ship shape, we set sail into the channel.
The way up was lovely, not to much wind, sunny, smooth sailing if you will. We glided on, taking lots of pictures, waving to other boaters, taking turns at the wheel, and looking at the splendid scenery (mostly trees, old beach houses, and old rickety boats). A few hours in we dropped anchor near a nice grassy island, and had lunch. After lunch, Lacey and I played someting similar to Scrabble on the bow. I think that was my favorite part, just hanging out on the bow, playing games, almost losing some stuff to the water, taking pictures, and discovering a new entrance to the cabin below. But right when everything seemed fine, a big gust of wind took my anagrams, and sent them floating down the river. Thry're probably way past Toledo by now. We could turn around for Lacey's hat, but not my anagrams. After lollygagging on the boat for a few hours, we headed for the dock. The way back was a little less smooth, then the way up, and was pretty windy, but was pretty fun to navigate in, and I ended up taking us back about half way.


When we got b
ack we were all pretty cold, and after putting the boat back in order, we went and stood in front of the hand dryers in the bathroom, and then went off to eat dinner. We ended up at a very nice, expensive restaurant, where we had a great view of both the beach, and a lady with really crazy robot glasses. After hardly eating my meal, and gawking at some strange people, we got back in the car and drove to Agate beach. We did not spend all that much time there, but I can tell you that there were some nice barken dunes (whatever John said), a pretty blue sky, and lots of sand. It did not seem like normal Oregon coast sand, because it was not all wet, and covered in garbage, it was very soft and clean.


After trying to run up and down a bunch of dunes, and getting sand in my eyes, we when back to the car and played a thrilling game of "try and get the sand out of the camera", we lost.
I had so much sand in my eyes, I couldn't see, and when I did get most of it out, and could see we were in front of a small candy store, and Lacey and I when in and got some salt water taffy. Now, armed with taffy and sand, we headed home. Gazing out the window, sharing headphones, and looking at the crescent moon with two planets making a diagonal line straigt through it, the drive seamed to go by too fast, and I soon found myself at my front door, saying, "thank you", and went in to share my good time with my family.



For more pictures visit our Flick account

8 Notes:

Anonymous Anonymous told us...

You forgot the part where I totally lost my balance, when docking and fell into the water! Oh yeah, those dunes are called barken dunes because they are form M like shapes on the ground if you looked at them aerial. It's weird what wind does to our beaches.

9:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous told us...

Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
Thank you and good luck.
cash for scrap cars toowoomba
scrap car buyer

8:13 PM

 
Blogger Delight Car Removal told us...

Thanks for sharing. Wow, that was strange. I just wrote a really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well, I'm not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say fantastic blog!
free car removal
cars for cash brisbane

8:40 PM

 
Blogger Max Cash For Cars told us...

Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work.
sell my car for cash brisbane
scrap cars brisbane

9:38 PM

 
Blogger Metalbiz told us...

Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work.
cash for cars ipswich
car for cash brisbane

8:56 PM

 
Blogger Car Removal NSW told us...

Thanks for sharing such a nice information. We provide a free cash quote over the phone and online. To get an unwanted cash for car wollongong , you can call us at the number below or fill out our online quote form that is located at the top right of this page

1:45 AM

 
Blogger North Coast Wreckers told us...

Great post and very informative post. North Coast Wreckers provide the best used or new car parts at an affordable price. Whether you are looking for an auto part for your engine. Cash for Scrap Cars Townsville

2:02 AM

 
Blogger Fast Car Removals told us...

Such a great information for blogger I am a professional blogger thanks. Best cash for cars Hervey Bay means cash up to $9999 and free fast pickup. We take any car whether it’s used, scrap, junk, old, salvage, written-off or accidental. Our drivers are prompt and pick up a car at the scheduled time. Hassle free service and quick paperwork. We need your driver’s license to make a selling receipt and cash will be paid on arrival. We bought 39% of total cars from Ipswich last year and the number is increasing.

4:40 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Main