Not for the land locked

Friday, July 15

office party.

At American Dream pizza, downtown I sat squished between my mom and her friend, they would sometimes lean across me to be able to hear each other so I was constantly tilting backward to get out of their way. Among them were a dozen other middle age folk having a going away party for a fellow worker. They all laughed and chatted among themselves with conversations only an adult would and could bear to listen to. Two other girls my age were present but they sat quietly together in the corner, finding amusment between them. I felt like a sardine on a ready-made sandwich, nudged between all the more beloved condiments. Good thing I had pizza and a dad whom wanted to leave just as badly as I (They were all my mom’s coworkers he didn’t know any of them.). When my mom said she didn’t want to stay long, I don’t think she meant she wanted to be the last one out, which unsurprisingly happened anyway.


My dad and I were going to take a walk so we would be out of the way, of all the people lingering around the three combined tables with no where to sit, and also we would have something to day, rather than sit. Then my mom would cut from her conversation and stop us, saying “oh, wait 5 more minutes, we’re wrapping up.” So we stayed, who knew it’d be another 30 minutes.


As I sat between the chatty ladies, I had to find away to keep myself from retaining to much boredom, I looked up at the ceiling and noticed the low-lying stainless steel air duct. I wondered if it would be sturdy enough for someone to spring off it, without it denting. I presumed that I could crouch on my chair facing the chair back, then flip onto the chair back and do a short handstand holding on to the chair back with my hands, feet in the air. Then I could bend my arms and push off from the chair back and hit the air duct with my feet to get enough momentum for me to do a quick mid air flip, and land safely back on the floor. That would be a quick, fun and entertaining trick that would get me out from between my mom and her friend. Yes I could have just switched with my mom, but she wanted me to get into the conversation, and no way did that happen.


Today’s the beginning of Da Vinci days here in *********, if you went to the Starlight Parade, or even the rose Parade in Portland, they had some kinetic sculptures from our Da Vinci days last year parading. My brother (Brandon) helped make a bug-like kinetic sculpture this year, so I’ll enjoy seeing his mechanism there.


On Monday until Saturday of next week, don’t expect any posts from me (Lacey) I’ll be in Texas soaking up lovely Hurricane Emily on her way from the Yucatan Peninsula.

2 Notes:

Anonymous Anonymous told us...

Along with the killer bees?

3:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous told us...

mmm? Possibly!

4:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Main