Not for the land locked

Monday, December 19

the coolest thing ever and some other stuff.

So, it's been a while. I wanted to post yesterday, but I was really busy with homework. Yes, I have homework over winter break. See, my genius Literature teacher, thinks it is best to give us close to no homework, while we are actually in school, and just pile it on when we get a break from school, so we can use our free time writing torturous essays. I wrote 5 diacritical journals yesterday, and still have a final essay to write, about a book we are reading. So now that I'm out of school, I'm trying to fit in fun, along with my mass amount of homework. So far, Lacey and I made a trip to Portland (she will tell you about that), and I am planning a cookie making party for this week, also, my brother is coming home today, so that may offer some entertainment, or at the very least, a burrito from La Conga. So, speaking of my brother, and not liking school, I bet you were wondering what I was doing that Lacey would describe as " the coolest thing ever". Well, my friends, a week from yesterday, my brother and I made our way down to Eugene for a Calvin Johnson show. Now the show did not start until 9:00, so we had a while to do nothing. We sat around Austin's house, watched some on-demand personal ads with his room mate, Dave, and debated on where to eat dinner. After naming off a lot of places, and a lot of undecided shrugs later, we decided to go for Chinese buffet. There was an interesting mix of people there, an assortment of loud white gangstas, and old ladys talking about jig-saw puzzles. The food was good. Then back to the house to meet up with a few people we were going to the show with. Before we left, we watched the Simpsons, and a Gogol Bordello Video.Then to the show we went. The show was at a small little studio called the Blue Room, and yes it was blue. We came in to see about 30 hip looking kids, and Calvin sitting in a barber stool in the lobby (it you could call it that). I paid my $5, had my wrist signed (this scared me), and sat down in a corner next to some hip looking kids talking about Pete and Pete. I promptly had a beer spilled on my knee, and helped the guy who dropped it, pick up broken glass (I think he turned out to be one the warm up acts). There were 3 acts before Calvin, some not too great. One act, Tender Forever, a K record band consisting of one French girl, was pretty enjoyable. At one point, she was on her laptop trying to fix the sound (it was really messed up), but it turned out it was only a cardboard cutout of a laptop, I don't think many people saw that. Then a quick break, I went out and bought Calvin's new CD from Calvin himself, and had it signed, and he taught me an easier way to get that sticky wrapper off the CD, I can't wait to use that, "Heres a little trick Calvin Johnson taught me". Then Calvin took the stage and we got a spot right up front sitting cross-legged (Calvin could have spit on me from where I was), a nice change from the very back where I could see nothing. Calvin played only his solo stuff, like usual, with only his deep, deep voice, and acoustic guitar. Slowly, person by person everyone sat down. Calvin is definitely the kind of thing you have to see sitting down, it's like a bunch of kids sitting on the floor listening to a very wise person tell very wise things during story time. This was fitting because Calvin is probably old enough to be most of the people's father. I really do enjoy small shows. After the show, we went back to Austin's house, watched a few episodes of home movies, and when to sleep. We woke up late Monday morning (so much for school), ran around, did some stuff, got some Indian food, brought some books to the Russian GTF office, packed up some stuff, and went home. I get to keep Austin's massive record/tape/CD collection for 6 months while he is in Russia. Well, there you go, the coolest thing ever and some other stuff.